Monday 16 May 2016

The North Lincs Half - 15/05/2016

Since being bitten by the ultra trail running bug almost two years ago I have run a lot of slow miles. They've been beautiful, muddy and tough but slow.  This training was essential for getting through three mighty ultras last year but I have been wondering whether I have been simply training myself to run long and slow.  

I do have a decent natural pace when I put my mind to it, so in addition to my one big trail race this summer at the UT 110k, I want to rediscover some of it and make some inroads into my road times this year.  The first opportunity would be at a race that is becoming a fixture, the North Lincs half in my boyhood town of Scunthorpe which I would be running for the third time.  It is pancake flat with a great opportunity for fast times and also to run with some of my old buddies from home.
Great to see you Mr Ellis
Photo credit Chris Pickwell
About five weeks out from the race I started to introduce one quicker run into my week to get myself used to clocking some faster kilometres ready for the race.  The sessions were hard as I'm so used to just steadilly accumulating the miles, but as a result my natural cruising pace quickly dropped by around 15 secs per mile.  After a few weeks, I was able to increase the distance covered at the faster pace and I started to feel more confident in having a really good crack at my half marathon time of 1h 28mins at this race.
Spot the Matt...
Photo credit Roger Kimberley-Scott
As it happened, the day dawned with perfect conditions, bright sunshine with a gentle cool breeze. As with last year, my old pals were there with me.  Ben, whose running is improving all the time was also looking to crack a personal best and Mark was just seeing how it went after having run a cracking race here last year.  On the start line it was a lovely surprise to bump into a friendly face in Gary Ellis, an old school friend who told me he has started running relatively recently back home in Liverpool.

Perfect conditions
Photo credit Scunthorpe Telegraph
As well as being flat, the course is quite scenic as it winds its way through villages outside the town and it still ends on the pitch in the football ground which is a nice way to finish.  I hope they can retain this when Scunthorpe United get a new ground soon.  Plenty of folks had turned out to cheer us on  along the route in the morning sunshine.

Mark breaks his 5k pb at the start, oops!
Photo credit: Roger Kimberley-Scott
I had worked out my splits for a one minute pb and resolved to stick with that pace as long as possible, fully expecting to fade a little at the end.  In reality I found that hitting the splits bang on was quite hard and ended up running several seconds per kilometre under.  I just went with it as we raced through the country lanes, fully expecting some painful payback later on.

I did hit a tricky patch around ten miles but it was more of a drifting of concentration than physical fatigue.  I quickly snapped out of it though and with only three miles to go I managed to get back on track and it wasn't long before we were rounding the corner for the long straight back to Scunthorpe. It was here I started to pass those who had gone out too fast and started to wobble but passing them gave me more confidence and I was able to lift the pace again which came as a surprise given my faster than expected start.  Entering the stadium straining for a few extra seconds, I knew I was on for a decent time but I hadn't looked at my watch for a wee while so I had no idea until I saw the race timer on the finish line.

Photo credit Claire Lewis

Before the race I thought that to put a minute into my best time would be a brilliant result.  In the end I battered down the doors of my pb by two and a half minutes to get home in 1h 25min and 31sec, a dream time given I have only really started thinking about faster stuff recently.  Perhaps there is something in this speedwork thing after all...


Suffice to say I am chuffed with that.  Its nice to have a time which better matches the amount of work I put into my running.  Turns out it was a day for smashing records. The course record was broken and Gary (see you next year?) and Ben also claiming new pbs.  Mark had a tougher day out than last year having overcooked it a little at the start but was still smiling at the end and even Harrison came away with a medal for bossing the fun run.
Proud fun run finishers
Photo credit Scunthorpe Telegraph
Afterwards we retired for a gravy dinner and a couple of shandies to top off a fab weekend.  Thanks to all the volunteers and organisers who put together a really well organised race.

I'm returning to the hills next weekend with the awesomest trail running community at the Hardmoors Osmotherley Marathon.  Cannot wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment